Sunday, October 14, 2007

For my Lois

Today as I was driving on Peachtree Street headed to FedEx/Kinkos I saw hundreds of women (and men) walking, wearing pink. I knew it had to be a breast cancer walk of some kind. Young women, old women, women with pink pom poms, hats, and balloons even, were all walking for a cure with so much pride.

And as I was waiting for the light to change, watching these women walk, I started to cry. I mean, not the little cute cry you do at weddings, no, this cry was like I was 5 years old and some mean man just stole my candy. See, my gramma lost her life to breast cancer, and I have two aunties currently fighting the battle. It's really rough in my family, yet I've done nothing. When I got back home, I googled to see which walk I encountered, it was the Susan G. Komen 3 day walk. I'm saying it now, almost out-loud, I'm walking the 3-day walk next year, if I have insurance (because you have to have insurance to register). I want to do this for every woman in my family (myself included), so that this disease doesn't take us away so prematurely.

Most of all, though...
I'm doing it for the woman who told me I could do anything, for the woman who flew around all around the country for every grandchild's graduation (kindergarten to college), for the woman who called me crying because she was too sick to come to my college graduation, for the woman whose strength I hope I've inherited, for the woman who was the backbone of our entire family, for the woman I will never get over; I'm doing it for you, gramma.

8 comments:

esk said...

Your grandmother sounds like she was a phenomenal woman. I'm sorry you lost her to breast cancer.

I think it's great that you will be participating in the Breast Cancer 3-day walk next year (get that insurance -- smile). What a way to raise awareness and demonstrate your support!

If you'll be raising money for the cause as well, be sure to send me the link so I can make a donation.

anonymousnupe said...

God bless your granny's memory. And for your two aunts currently fighting for their lives, see this, http://youtube.com/watch?v=cK2-kxMeSXg, and Google and search Youtube for yourself about all the great new research coming out concerning Vitamin D in the prevention and treatment of many cancers (especially breast and prostate)!

Praying for them, too.

minus five said...

that's an awesome story.

mer said...

Such a beautiful story! My mom had brest cancer too so I know how much it totally sucks. I'll totally help u raise money for the cause girly.

LOVES!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Trace. Your grandmother sounds phenomenal, but a lot them are. Oh damn! Now I'm getting teary thinking about mine.

Laydia said...

I wish you all the best on your walk next year. Your granny sounds like she was awesome and I feel your pain so much. As long as you remember her she'll always live on.

EmpressMommie said...

WOW!! Your mom looks JUST like Grandma Lois! That is how you will look at that age. Beautiful and full of strength and life! Let me know when its time to donate...we got u in the Sip. We will mail it...drive it to ya if we have too.

Anonymous said...

So I see this is a very old post, but I was goggling "breast cancer ribbon" & it brought me to your blog. I am actually sending out newsletters trying to raise my $2,200 for 2008s Twin Cities 3 day walk for Susan G Komen. This will be my first year & so far, it has been an incredible expierence. My aunt died last October to breast cancer! Wish you all the best!!!